As the FDA sits poised and ready to re-review health and safety concerns for the antibacterial ingredient Triclosan, enviornmental groups are pushing hard for regulations concerning disclosure on the part of products that contain it. With safety concerns that include an increased risk of hormone-related cancers, as well as an increased risk of allergies and irritations of the skin,eyes and lungs, it's an ingredient we should not ignore.
And while it's no secret that triclosan, a cousin of the pesticide dioxin, is commonly found in many antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers, what most people don't know is that it's also a "hidden" ingredient, not necessarily on the label of many products you might never even consider would have it.
If you're looking to reduce or avoid exposures not knowing where this ingredient is lurking could present some major challenges.
To help you along the way, below is a partial list of some of the products which are known to contain triclosan. Put together by the group BeyondPesticides.org, paying attention can help you to reduce exposures when and where you can.
* Supre® Café Bronzer™
* Blemish Cover Stick
* TotalSkinCare Makeup Kit
* Movate® Skin Litening Cream HQ
* Garden Botanika® Powder Foundation
* Paul Mitchell Detangler Comb
* Mavala Lip Base
* Revlon ColorStay LipSHINE Lipcolor Plus Gloss
* Jason Natural Cosmetics
* Old Spice High Endurance Stick Deodorant
* DeCleor Deodorant Stick
* Right Guard Sport Deodorant
* Epoch® Deodorant with Citrisomes
* Queen Helene® Tea Trea Oil Deodorant and Aloe Deodorant
* X Air Maximum Strength Deodorant
* Nature De France Le Stick Natural Stick Deodorant
Other Personal Care Products:
* Gillette® Complete Skin Care MultiGel Aerosol Shave Gel
* Murad Acne Complex® Kit®
* Diabet-x™ Cream
* T.Taio™ sponges and wipes
* Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel